Sunday, February 24, 2008

Climbing




The feel of rock beneath your fingertips. Closer to earth, literally on it, gripping it, a part of it. Rock climbers are so excited about what they do, because deep down maybe they realize the intensity of what they love.

I love the pain that your hands feel after hanging on for a few climbs - I love the way your fingers scream in agony, the way my shoulders wince, there is pain.. real brutal pain involved - and it makes me smile.
I don't get to enjoy pain enough. I forget what it feels like sometimes - in our comfy world we shy away from it, we protect ourselves at all costs. Our blood only scares us, partly because we're so out of touch with what we really are - human and vunerable. I enjoy the pain from the rocks.. because its a reality check, it makes me remember my mortality, my energy, and my body. Deep down, I need that.. we all need that. Bare, physical, elemental existence - climbing illuminates it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment about life. There are no parameters, say what you want about whatever you want - freedom.