Monday, March 9, 2009

Bought surfboard - surfed, crashed on reef..

I walked down to Diamondhead this morning and picked up a new surfboard. Its a 8' smooth and ready to be ridden. I took in to the surf beside Diamondhead beach, it is a remote section of waves hidden behind a few hundred yards of sharp coral - I waxed up and paddled out into the water. my knuckles scraped against the brittle edges as I propelled myself forward. 3 other surfers, all sitting up on their boards, waiting for the next set - no words, just nods and smiles.
I sat up and straddled my board, watching the sunlight glistening across the palm trees and through the branches. The bottom half of a rainbow climbing through the mountains - losing itself in dark clouds.
One of the best parts of surfing is not surfing; its the wait on the edge of the waves.
The wave was good. Solid.
Again.
Again.

Every time though I felt the coral tear at my feet and my ankles as I bailed off - the thought of sharks lingered in my head for a few moments.
Sharks hate surfers, they eat them out of spite.

The last wave was big, solid and strong - I took it all the way past the reef's edge - then slipped of the front of the board and landed head first on the coral.
I have a nice scratch on my forehead and one on my arm.
The surfboard is fine.

Can't wait to go out tomorrow!




(Andrew Tipton)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment about life. There are no parameters, say what you want about whatever you want - freedom.