Sunday, March 22, 2009

Hiking through clouds


Hiking through the tops of Oahu's mountains, the raindrops splashing against my eyes, muddy hiking boots tearing through underbrush, surrounded by clouds - I imagine myself on a mission to save an endangered species of jungle gorilla.

High above the cities, away from the rumble and distraction of tourists, we trek across the edges of fern-covered cliffs in silence. I am lost in thought, but thoughts about where I am. I jump over a fallen tree, I climb past a few boulders and make my way up the washed-out trail. My breathing is heavy, and sweat is dripping from my skin, I can taste drops of jungle dirt on my lips.. and I love it! There is only the sound of rain and wind and we move along the trail - rain, wind, and my own body moving. I am aware of my feet, as they dart and nimbly maneuver across the path - good to have feet. I am aware of my hands as I grip trees and vines in an attempt to stabilize myself on the slippery descents. I am aware of my eyes, as the are ever searching for the next rock, or the next clean patch of trail - step by step.



At the summit, Charles shot me a grin. As we stood there, surround by a blanket of clouds, I felt like I was dreaming. I could only see a few yards in each direction - there was the sensation of absolute saturation; of being enveloped in nature itself. I felt like I was part of the wetness, part of the stillness, part of the mud, and the rocks, and the leaves.. I felt like I was part of myself.

I remember the trail, because I was there for it - every step of the way.



(Andrew Tipton

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment about life. There are no parameters, say what you want about whatever you want - freedom.