Monday, June 1, 2009

June 1st, Human


People.
If you ever want to learn about humans, come to Hawaii.
We are a crazy, beautiful, dangerous, wild, confused, ignorant, passionate, domesticated race.

Hawaii is like a giant pot of soup.. I have heard it called a "melting pot", but that isn't true; no one melts.
In fact, we do the opposite of melt.
But thats ok. I have to keep reminding myself.
We don't have to melt, we don't have to exist in the same thought, or do the same things, or speak the same langauge. Its frustrating at times.. when we are all banging into each other, and grinding against each other's routines. But it should be that way. Because those moments are made by our differences. I have had so many experiences here, but they were directly created from each of us doing our own "thing".
I hate us for that. But I have to laugh at the same time. And I have to love the jumbled, gorgeous confusion of it all.

Maybe you're the little baby on the bus that kept grabbing my arm with your chubby baby fingers; you made me laugh so hard, people thought I was crazy!
Maybe you're the arrogant punk who I fought with in Big Kahuna's last weekend; I thought you were an ass-hole, but I know you were trying to show off.
Maybe you're the tiny little grandpa who smiled when we shook hands after you gave me a towel; It was good to meet you Tiago.
Maybe you're the girl that bought me a drink the other night and then ran your hand through my hair; I thought you smelled so good - like really expensive soap.
Maybe you're the guy on the bicycle that screamed at me in traffic, even though you were going the wrong way; its cool man, I go the wrong way too sometimes.
Maybe you're the hiker that I met on the Hahaione trail; did you ever make it down?
Maybe you're the dude in the speedo that lays out every single day; you grossed me out for awhile, but now I just laugh when I see you.
Maybe you're the surfer guys that rode with me to Kailua; did you guys get your board fixed?
Maybe you are the Australian girls that shared my room in the hostel; that was such an insane night! I did not sleep.
Maybe you're the Asian tourist group that stampeded me in the elevator yesterday, and the day before; I love how you guys are always "running" in little groups, to places that are 20ft away.
Maybe you are the surfers that I caught that giant wave with; that was so fast and so awesome! I'm glad all three of us rode that beast together.
Maybe you are the homeless guys that shared your spot on the park with me; you guys were actually off your rockers, but it was interesting talking to you.
Maybe you're the yoga teacher from Kailua that freaked me out when you did that shakra ritual; I liked you accent though, you knew your truth.
Maybe you are Brian the pilot, who took me up in your homemade airplane and flew us around the island; that was incredible, I couldn't stop smiling!
Maybe you are the sailboat captain.
Maybe you are the taxi drivers.
Maybe you are the scuba instructor.
Maybe you are the girl who bags my groceries at Safeway.

Maybe you are me.
Some days I am thrilled that I be a human;
I am thrilled to be just 1 story in a million stories.
Stories about adventure, and suffering, and joy and amazement and beauty and creativity and complacency. Stories that are dangerous and stories that are mundane.
Stories of motion.

Lets keep grinding into each other; lets keep being ourselves, lets never melt.
Thanks Hawaii.




(Andrew Tipton)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment about life. There are no parameters, say what you want about whatever you want - freedom.