Tuesday, June 9, 2009

UGLY MUG Diaries

I'm sitting here in a coffee shop called "UGLY MUG"
It is on the corner of Soquel Dr, and Porter St, in Santa Cruz, CA.

I know the street names, because I am sitting by a window looking out on the day.
It is warm. Slightly sunny, and I am starting to sweat in the North Face jacket that I'm wearing.

I am watching traffic.
Cars. Trucks. Bikes. People.

The bike traffic is interesting. People have a tendency to look like their bikes; or is it the other way around?

There is an incredibly large Hispanic guy on a low rider motorcycle. His stomach is almost touching the gas tank. He still looks cool.

A girl on a pink beach-cruiser bicycle just came by, she was wearing a pink jacket, and fuzzy pink boots. I am guessing it is her favorite color. She was pretending to be in a fashion show; every stride contained calculated sex appeal.

There is a lady with a really old Saab that just drove by.. the entire interior of her car was leopard print! Seats, dash, doors, EVERYTHING. She looked like a cougar.

There is a rack of postcards beside me.. and one of the cards is a "supernova". Coincidence?

I am thinking about agendas today. Mine. Yours.
Wondering whose is more important.
Wondering if any are more important.
Wondering why cars are driving South on Porter Street.
Wondering why cards are driving North of Porter Street.
Wondering why I'm here.

A very very old woman with a baby carriage is standing outside my window. The baby carriage is filled with packages for the post-office. She has a very very old dog with her, he looks like the sort of animal you would get if you crossed a Zebra with a Squirrel.


I ordered a glass of milk. Whole milk. It was delicious and cold.

The UGLY MUG is out of Apple Juice.



(Andrew Tipton)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment about life. There are no parameters, say what you want about whatever you want - freedom.