Friday, February 12, 2010

Snow Day


There is somewhere that I always imagined to be my own perfect place. In my head it has been a hammock strung between two swaying palm tress, watching the sunset caress the edge of the horizon; my sunbathed body drifting in an out of summer dreams, with the embrace of waves still lingering on my bare skin and a surfboard not too far away. That is one perfect somewhere. That is becoming one of many of my perfect somewheres.

Today, I woke up in snow. From the second story I pulled open the blinds and looked out, down into the monkey tree - white gentle softness falling on the branches. This is one of those unexpected days, the sort that catches you off balance and unprepared. I pulled on my jacket and my jeans with the holes in the knees, and walked outside; silence and snowflakes coming down everywhere around me. On me. In my mouth. In my eyes. On my skin. On my cheeks. Melting on my fingertips. How long has it been since I woke up unexpectedly to snow? To a white solace; to the quiet seductive pur of snowflakes.

I am in awe today. Remembering that there are many perfect places. Many perfect moments; and the joys that come from all sorts of unprecedented experiences. I live a life in the pursuit of a particular set of perfect.. my ideal lifestyle, my ideal temperature, my ideal girl, my ideal element. How foolish. How naive.
The beauty and marvel of life is the untamed perfection of these days.. the way we are able to experience so many separate perfect somewheres. Somewhere here. Somewhere there. Somewhere between. How much do I miss, because I am so focused on just one sort of perfect day..? Why not just let my mind wander - let perfection find me. It wants to so badly.
I loved today. I loved the random bliss of this unexpected snowstorm.. I loved the snowball fights with strangers downtown.. I loved the way my fingers felt against snowflakes. This today is one of my perfect somewheres; one of many.
There are so many.





Andrew Tipton

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment about life. There are no parameters, say what you want about whatever you want - freedom.