Friday, February 19, 2010

Sum of You

Make up our minds too quickly.

The other day, afternoon, sunshine when we met. I made up my mind too quickly. Saw you for an instant, summed you up right then and there.. what you are, what you think about on perfect days, what you do for fun, what you don't do; the way you talk, the words you use when you speak.. If I will ever like you.. If you are straight, gay, sideways, backwards, smart, ignorant.. I made it up. All of it, right then, as we exchanged glances.
Too soon? Was it too much too soon? Did I not give you a chance to be you; to explain your dreams and your motions, and your emotions? Is there more to you than my imagination?
And yet, I need you to be that way.. to be something that fits my personal idea of "What Is". It makes me feel in control, makes me feel like I know my world - even if I'm completely off mark.
I take what you say, the ways you move.. your voice and your smile.. and I make it what I absolutely need it to be. In a way, I never even meet you, because I've have already decided how you are - in my mind, you are twisted into a shape that fits where I need you to work.
What would change, if I let you into my world... listened to you, watched you, talked with you, explored earth and mind with you? Would I still need you to "fit"? Or would you re-define my boundaries.. shatter my concept of what and who a person can be? I hope that I am not so afraid, that I cautiously never experience what you are.





(Andrew Tipton)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment about life. There are no parameters, say what you want about whatever you want - freedom.