Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Devil May Care

I have expectations. From my days, from my nights.. from my Tuesdays, my Sundays.
I live in a world of expectation. From the way I drive, to the way I speak, my entire interaction with this world is based on expectations. People, surfaces, motion, time, distance, thoughts - it is an inescapable reality.
Recently, I am contemplating the apparent excessiveness of my own expectation. I am beginning to realize that the majority of my disappointments in situations, or my disappointment in people for that matter, is fostered by an over extension of expectation.
For starters, "relationships". How much do I expect from friends? How much do I expect from girls? How much do I expect from my family? I catch myself placing expectations on people (most of the time completely without their knowledge), and then holding them to my own standard. When someone doesn't measure up, or when they fail to meet my expectations of them... I get upset, frustrated, discouraged, angry. But all along these were my own expectations!.
How many relationships have faltered, or how many have I let die, simply because I perceived an inadequacy from the other person? I want to remember that these expectations are always only mine. I want to continually be aware that people create their own standards - they are not obligated to follow or fit mine. How much freedom does that give me? Much. How much freedom does that give someone else? Much.
I won't expect you to meet all my expectations.. you probably won't - but that lets me enjoy you for you.
I think that when we lose our expectant rigidity, we find an abundance of crazy beautiful bewilderment.





Andrew Tipton

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment about life. There are no parameters, say what you want about whatever you want - freedom.