Friday, August 22, 2008

Urgency

Life can't wait.
There is no moment more precious than the moment you are living.

Be consumed by the urgency of life.

There is a saying:
live like there is no tomorrow
. In reality, there might be a tomorrow. Its true, there has always been tomorrows as long as I can remember. I remember yesterday, and the day before, and the day before - all followed by tomorrows. That convenient truth keeps us sedated - it keeps us quiet and comfortable, and calm.



We live carefully, because we anticipate a tomorrow. We work long, because we are hoping to have lots of money tomorrow. We don't live completely in the moment, simply because we are quite sure that tomorrow we will have the chance again.
I am perfectly aware of the paradox of living fully in the moment, while knowing that tomorrow is just a few hours away - it doesn't happen. We are so convinced in the security of our existence, we have lost the urgency of the day.

I don't want to live like there is no tomorrow. There very well could be one.
I want to live, knowing that tomorrow I will be older, slower, less beautiful, weaker, in more pain, and less able to taste the deliciousness of being alive. I want to live today, believing that I will not always be young, that I will not always be able to climb mountains, that I will not always be able to dance, that I will not always be able to surf waves, to kiss a beautiful girl, to have warm skin and firm muscles, that life is slowly, surely, stealthly wearing me down. That knowledge gives my life urgency! Whatever is available, whatever is beautiful and amazing, and extrodinary - DO IT WHILE YOU CAN. When I know that, I can't put life off, I can't conveniently let it pass me by. I must be in it, moving with it, exploring and feeling the earth.

The passage of life is both predictible and incredible. The ability to live fully, grows smaller and smaller with each and every passing day. Know it. Own it. Believe it.

TOUCH EVERYTHING WHILE YOU CAN.
Tomorrow may come - what will you do with it? What can you still do with it?



(Andrew Tipton)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment about life. There are no parameters, say what you want about whatever you want - freedom.