Wednesday, August 18, 2010

endogenous morphine



Our bodies produce endorphins during exercise, excitement, pain,and orgasm. They resemble opiates in their abilities to produce analgesia and a feeling of well-being.
Sometimes, I think perhaps it is more than a feeling - more like a longing from the depths of our spirit.
For the past week, I have been biking and kayaking in wilderness of Tsali. An amazing thing to be away from humanity for awhile.. to see the raw and untamed side of nature - silent, and yet constantly speaking to your animal side. Makes you feel fresh, wild-eyed, hungry.
I spent the mornings watching blue clouds make their way out of the sky, and wander down into lush mountain valleys; the afternoons embracing the icy splashes of whitewater on my lips (I still have the taste on my tongue); the evenings rushing down narrow, rocky trails - only the sound of our heartbeats, and our tires catching the dirt as we speed along roller coaster slopes.

Sometimes I need to be reminded of the intoxication of the beautifully unpredictable - such a blessing to be shaken by shadows and mystery of the Appalachians.

As we paddle out into the rapids, fear disappears - my ego disappears - everything but the moment vanishes into the cold rushing blueness. Matching smiles make their way across our faces and then the smiles wander down into our hearts; we are alive, we are alive, we are alive.. I can't help but say these words out loud! As the river takes us, I glimpse my own mortality.. and I am glad for the motion of the water, sweeping us along into a dangerous unknown.





Andrew Tipton

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment about life. There are no parameters, say what you want about whatever you want - freedom.