Tuesday, August 3, 2010

forget what you came for


Went out to shoot a sunset in the rain today.. a mist moved in as the sun faded and looked absolutely unbelievable through the treetops - weaving mystery through every single leaf. The second I took my camera out of its case to start shooting, my lens fogged up. I sat down for a few moments while I was waiting for it to clear, and out of the corner of my eye this little tree frog caught my attention. I got down on my hands in the horsetail right beside him.. and we both watched each other for about 20 minutes... me and the tree frog.
This guy was so bad ass! He had the coolest tiny fingers, and these beautiful golden bronze eyes that would follow my movements, and he had this mischievous frog smile. I watched his skin move.. frog skin move.. have you ever watched frog skin move? the color of a ripe lime, I would say its the greenest thing I've ever seen.
If you look at a tree frog long enough, it starts change in your mind - it starts to lose its place in your memory.. starts to lose its name.. starts to look crazy insane.
I was mesmerized for 20 minutes today. Looking at a creature that I do not know. I thought I did, I thought I had tree frogs all figured out... for sure. I was wrong.
We call things by made up names.. we let ourselves pretend to fathom what they do.. and why they exist..
but we are just pretending.
We live in a world of make believe


I missed my sunset. Got lost in bewilderment instead.





Andrew Tipton

1 comment:

  1. I came here for the pictures you take and the pictures of you in front of the camera. Instead I found a writer of immense gift and sensitivity. I was right there with you as you watched the frog watching you. An unexpected and inspiring start to my day. Thank you.

    From one twin to another,
    Tom

    ReplyDelete

Please comment about life. There are no parameters, say what you want about whatever you want - freedom.